There are a few signs that should tell you if your current HVAC unit is on its last leg. If your system is making strange noises, not turning off when it should, or if the indoor and outdoor temperatures don’t match up, it’s likely time to call in the professionals. Keep reading to learn more about when it’s time for a new heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit and what to expect from the process.
What is a HVAC system and why do I need one?
A HVAC system is a unit that regulates the temperature inside your home. It does this by bringing in cold or warm air and distributing it through the duct work throughout your house. You’ll find them in both homes and offices, as they’re necessary for comfortable living year-round. If yours isn’t working properly, you can expect discomfort, poor indoor air quality, and an uncomfortable working environment.
Signs that you may need to replace your current HVAC unit
- Your unit is getting old: The average lifespan of an HVAC unit is 14 years, so if you haven’t had yours for that long, it may be nearing the end of its life. If you haven’t replaced your old unit yet, make sure to keep an eye out for all the signs that will be mentioned here.
- It’s making strange noises: When one or more components in your system goes bad, it can put additional strain on other parts. If your unit is making unusual noises that it didn’t used to make, there’s a chance that something needs to be replaced.
- It’s not turning off even when you tell it to: Similar to strange noises, if the system isn’t following commands or shutting off when it should, this could mean that there’s a problem with your thermostat or the entire unit.
- The indoor and outdoor temperatures don’t match up: The main purpose of an HVAC system is to maintain a certain temperature inside. If this isn’t happening as it should, it could be due to a faulty system.
- If you had it repaired but it’s still not working: If you’ve already paid to have your system repaired and it’s still not working correctly, it may be time for a new HVAC unit. This is especially true if the issue happens with multiple systems throughout your house.
It’s important that you know what to expect when your entire heating and cooling system is not working. Make sure you know the signs that an old unit may be in need of replacement, as well as how much it costs, where to go for help, and how to choose the right size for your home.
Find professionals that could help you determine what to do if your current system is broken and provide appliance repair services in Salt Lake City. Make sure to take down their suggestions on whether or not it should be replaced. Talk to them if they can also install a new one for you if that’s the route you choose.