The appearance and functionality of space around your property can have a significant impact on its value. The folk at Parking Lot Pros say that one way to enhance both aspects is through asphalt paving. To that end, below are some of the benefits of asphalt paving as well as what to expect when having it installed.
Benefits of Asphalt Paving
Asphalt is known for its durability and long-lasting nature. When properly installed and maintained, an asphalt surface can last up to 20 years or more. Compared to other paving materials like concrete, asphalt is more cost-effective, both in terms of installation and maintenance. As well as this, asphalt paving can significantly enhance your property’s curb appeal, making it more attractive to potential buyers or renters. A well-maintained asphalt surface looks sleek and professional, which can leave a lasting impression.
To top it off, asphalt is recyclable, meaning old asphalt can be repurposed for new projects. This reduces waste and promotes sustainability in the construction industry.
Asphalt Paving Applications
Asphalt paving can be used in various applications, such as:
- Driveways: A well-paved driveway not only enhances curb appeal but also provides a smooth surface for your vehicles.
- Parking Lots: Asphalt parking lots are durable, cost-effective, and require minimal maintenance.
- Walkways and Paths: Paved walkways provide safe, even surfaces for pedestrians.
- Patios: An asphalt patio can create a comfortable outdoor living space for you and your family to enjoy.
- Sports Courts: From basketball to tennis, asphalt surfaces provide a reliable foundation for recreational activities.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Asphalt Paving
Before you embark on an asphalt paving project, consider these factors:
- Climate: Certain asphalt types may be more suitable for specific climates, so consult with a professional to determine the best option for your region.
- Soil and Drainage: Proper drainage is crucial for the longevity of your asphalt surface. A qualified contractor will ensure your project accounts for soil conditions and drainage needs.
- Traffic Volume and Load-Bearing Capacity: Choose the appropriate asphalt type and thickness based on the anticipated traffic and weight loads your surface will need to support.
Asphalt Paving Installation Process
Here’s a brief overview of the asphalt paving installation process:
- Site Preparation and Grading: The area must be cleared of debrisand the ground should be graded to create a smooth, even foundation.
- Subbase and Base Course Installation: A solid subbase is crucial for proper drainage and load-bearing capacity. A base course is then added to provide additional support.
- Asphalt Application and Compaction: The chosen asphalt mix is applied and compacted to create a strong, durable surface.
- Curing and Sealing: Allow the asphalt to cure properly before applying a sealant to protect it from the elements and extend its lifespan.
- Line Marking and Finishing Touches: Once cured, lines and markings can be added as needed, giving your surface a polished, professional appearance.
Maintaining Your Asphalt Surface
Proper maintenance is vital to extend the life of the asphalt surface. Follow these steps:
- Regular Inspections and Maintenance: Conduct periodic inspections to identify potential issues early and address them promptly.
- Sealcoating: Apply a sealant every few years to protect the asphalt from water penetration, UV rays, and chemical damage.
- Crack Filling and Repairs: Fill any cracks as they appear to prevent further damage and maintain the integrity of the surface.
- Resurfacing and Overlays: If the asphalt surface becomes excessively worn or damaged, resurfacing or applying an overlay can restore its appearance and functionality.
- Proper Drainage and Snow Removal: Ensure that water drains properly from the surface and promptly remove snow to prevent damage caused by freeze-thaw cycles.
To conclude, asphalt paving is an excellent way to transform your property, offering durability, cost-effectiveness, and aesthetic appeal.